An increasing number of people eat out daily.
All meals on our table show the skills of the catering operator but it also entails an unavoidable environmental impact.
The “Ecoristorazione Trentino” project aims at reducing the environmental impact, the air and water pollution, the water and energy consumption, the waste production which are connected with the catering service and the catering chain.
The “Ecoristorazione Trentino” certificate provides mutual information: the catering service makes its client aware of his efforts to protect the environment. The client has the opportunity to communicate to the caterer his interest towards the environment.
In April 2012 the Autonomous Province of Trento, in cooperation with the MunicipalityofTrento, set off a working group with the main operators associations active in the catering sector, aiming at starting an environmental sustainability project for the catering sector in Trentino. The project name is "Ecoristorazione Trentino".
In February 2012 a framework program was signed by all the stakeholders. The document is targeted to all catering services in Trentino. To comply with Ecoristorazione Trentino eco-label, restaurants have to comply with a tough set of environmental criteria.
The certificate of environmental quality will be released only after a serious independent verification procedure.
Actions for the environment
The "Ecoristorazione Trentino" certificate requires the respect of mandatory criteria and optinale criteria with a final minimum score of 24 out of 74 points.
The regulation involves 5 areas:
1. Food and drinks: priority must be given to biological, local and fair products
2. Waste: reduction is a priority
3. Energy and water: priority to energy and water saving
4. Non-food purchase: priority to certified green products
5. information, communication and environmental education: in order to involve clients in the implementation of environmental good practices.
1. Short chain menus: meals are prepared with ingredients coming from Trentino, with a reduction of the emissions due to transport.
2. Biological food products: at least two ingredients come from biological agriculture.
3. No single dose products: single dose products are not used to avoid the waste production.
4. Disposable products: discard all disposable tableware (cups, plates, forks , etc. . )
5. Takeaway not consumed food: offer your customers the chance to bring home not consumed food and beverages
by the appropriate container indicated by the Autonomous Province of Trento (or similar), communicating
this possibility in writing and obvious.
6. Tap water: the restaurant informs the clients about the possibility to drink tap water to avoid emissions deriving from transport and waste production.
7. Lighting: the restaurant only uses energy efficient lighting plants, with a reduction of energy consumption, and of greenhouse gas emissions in the atmosphere.
8. Cleaning products: The restaurant uses at least two ecological cleaning product lines, with a consequent water and air pollution reduction.
9. Information: the restaurant informs its clients about its efforts in the implementation of environmental good practices.
The catering services showing this certificate implement environmental sustainability actions.
From February 2012, the “Ecoristorazione Trentino” certificate marks the catering services in Trentino which devote attention to environmental protection.
The certificate “Ecoristorazione Trentino” is ruled by the program agreement signed on 16 February 2012 by the Autonomous Province of Trento, the Municipality of Trento and the main associations of stakeholders involved in the catering sector in Trentino.
For further information, please contact:
AGENZIA PROVINCIALE PER LA PROTEZIONE DELL’AMBIENTE
Tel +39 0461/497738-39
firstname.lastname@example.org - www.eco.provincia.tn.it